Friday, October 5, 2012

Don't Dismiss, Dissoi Logoi!!


            There is much to debate on the topic of social media networks and how they can affect relationships.  The points I have made in my persuasive speech are valid and honest, but there is always a devil’s advocate in any persuasive situation.  In persuasive communication we like to call an opposing side of an agreement the “Dissoi Logoi”.  In Greek this term literally means different words.  Without this rebuttal of ideas, there would be no two sides of the story, which in turn makes no reason to debate. Many people have different views about social media.  I’m sure I could find a bunch of people who would love to debate my topic on how social media is negative.  People of all ages use social media networks like Facebook and Twitter on a habitual base and most likely cannot live without it.  A good argument would be that social media keeps people connected in a positive way.  I cannot assert a comeback for that response because it is true…but my point is there’s always two sides of the story, with the good comes the bad.  Social media is nothing but an overrated fade that starts rumors and lies for people to converse and complain about, in my own personal opinion.  But I’m sure someone could dig up a ton of artifacts and evidence as to why I am mistaken.  I’ll give you an example; social media is excellent in the workplace.  Corporate systems use these networks as the new means of communication inside and outside of the workplace, both internally and internationally.  And I agree that this online communication benefits companies, but it’s using social media for recreation that gets you in trouble.  This describes how different audiences could be affected differently by social media.  Like I stated before, companies benefit off of this way to communication because it’s simple and everyone knows how to use it.  On the other hand, what is the point of allowing a ten year old child to use social media?  When I was that age I had no clue how to navigate my way around the internet.  By doing this, it’s only more likely for adolescents to become online prey.  Children of that age should be riding bike and joining the soccer team, not seating on a couch with a microphone around their head suffocating their brain!!!  Everyone is under the assumption that social media is the next hip thing, and that might be the case.  I believe eventually everyone will have a social media account of some sort.  You can call me a hypocrite if you’d like, since I will admit I use social media SOMETIMES, but my views are probably different than most.  I am on the other side of the spectrum when trusting social media sites.  If these networks are so overpopulated and misconceiving now, what are we looking at in the next 21 years of my live?  I don’t know what it is but something’s fishy in the waters of social media, and I’m staying dry on land.

1 comment:

  1. To examine the concept of dissoi logoi, there must first be an exigency. You are exactly correct when you suggest that SNM can be abused or used to invade one's privacy - or even to steal one's identity. You are wise to be prudent regarding what you post. You are smart to remember that many companies will investigate the Facebook pages of job applicants. This is reality in the era of SNM.

    The persuasive issue involved here is not debating the relative merits or risks involved, but rather the degree to which SNM ought to be regulated or restricted due to those risks. Consider your question about the 10-year-old child using SNM. Is the question about whether that child should be allowed? That's a parenting issue having nothing to do with SNM; or about whether SNM should be made more harmless to the child who DOES use it? Be careful of making assumptions regarding the nature of the issue. You state that "Everyone is under the assumption that social media is the next hip thing, and that might be the case." There is no persuasive exigency about that. People are allowed to disagree over the relative merits of SNM. They are free to use it or not. Do you suggest that the very prospect of becoming "online prey" means that young people should be prohibited from using SNM? As a critic of persuasion, how are these arguments made? How are they received by the public?

    ReplyDelete